The Water, Energy and Environmental Engineering Research Unit (WE3) is opening a Doctoral Student position to work on northern water resources and urban water management. The position will be based in the Hydrosystems Engineering and Management Research Group, led by associate professor Ali Torabi Haghighi. The research will concentrate on stormwater management in northern conditions with snow, ice and rapid climate change. Also, increased digitalization and improved demand for environmental protection are essential parts of stormwater management development in Finland.
WE3 research covers a broad area of expertise including hydrology, water resources, energy systems and environmental studies (www.oulu.fi/water). The research unit is a multinational group working in a modern, up-to-date research environment. The unit has a staff of 60 including 25 full-time doctoral students working with new discoveries in water resources science, engineering and management.
A successful candidate is expected to have a strong background and experience in water engineering, modelling and management. Experience in stormwater management will be considered as a strong advantage. The candidate is expected to:
- Model stormwater and lake system responses in cold climate
- Study interactions of lake, groundwater and stormwater systems
- Optimization of monitoring and operation of stormwater system
- Applying for external funding together with thesis supervisors and the research group
Assessment of the applicants’ qualifications will be based on the following criteria:
- MSc degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering with major in Water Engineering or a related discipline. The degree must be completed with good grades
- strong knowledge in Water Engineering including hydraulics, hydrology, water and wastewater management
- experience and interest in design and operation of stormwater management systems
- strong background in stormwater modelling (SWMM or similar) and management
- experience with programming with MATLAB, R or Python is an advantage
- GIS and remote sensing experience are advantages
- experience in scientific publication is an advantage
- fluency in both written and spoken English, good communication and teamworking skills
Terms of employment
The duration of the position is 2 years, beginning on April 1, 2021 (or as soon as possible thereafter). A six-month trial period will be applied to the position.
The salary is in accordance with the university salary system for teaching and research personnel level 2 – 4 of the demand level chart. In addition to the basic salary, supplementary salary will be paid for personal achievement and performance, the sum rising to a maximum of 50 % of the basic salary level for the post. The typical salary for a starting doctoral student is about €2,300 per month (before taxes) but may be larger for exceptional candidates pending experience and qualifications.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 23:59 (Finnish local time).
The eligible applicants best fitting the expected research profile are invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified when the selection process has been completed.
The application should be written in English and include the following documents:
- motivation letter summarizing the applicant’s professional experience and expertise and describing why he/she is interested in this position. Teaching interest and other career plans are valuable to provide here (max. 2 pages).
- curriculum vitae (max. 4 pages) in accordance with the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (https://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae)
- copy of the applicant’s Master of Science degree diplomas
- teaching portfolio and publication list if available
- names and contact information of two persons for possible references
For further information, please contact:
Assistant Professor Pekka Rossi, pekka.rossi(at)oulu.fi, +358 29 448 4395
Associate Professor Ali Torabi Haghighi, ali.torabihaghighi(at)oulu.fi, +358 40 449 2894
Water, Energy and Environmental Engineering Research Group, WE3 Research Unit, Faculty of Technology, University of Oulu