PhD Position (m/f/d) in Statistical Ecotoxicology
The University of Bayreuth is a research-oriented university with internationally competitive, interdisciplinary focus areas in research and teaching. The Junior Research Group Ecotoxicology is seeking to fill a
starting as early as possible. The part-time (65%) position is limited to three years and will be paid according to German public-sector level E13.
The PhD project aims to better understand toxic effects of different microplastic particles and their associated chemicals and to predict effects for untested species and substances. To this end, both statistical methods and machine learning models will be used to identify trait-trait-combinations associated with particularly toxic (or non-toxic) outcomes.
The PhD project will be conducted in close collaboration with the Collaborative Research Centre (CRC) 1357 Microplastics (https://www.sfb-mikroplastik.uni-bayreuth.de/en/). For the successful completion of the doctoral project, the employee will be integrated into the graduate program of the CRC.
- a university degree that qualifies for a PhD program in Bayreuth (MSc or equivalent)
- either a background in ecotoxicology/ecology/biology or related field and an interest in statistical methods and machine learning or a background in statistics/mathematics/physics and an interest to apply quantitative methods in an ecotoxicological context
- good knowledge of statistics and R, ideally also in machine learning or a general programming language (e.g. Python)
- experience in handling large data volumes
- ability to independently develop scientific theory
- team orientation and motivation to advance environmental risk assessment
- excellent knowledge of English and writing skills
- A dynamic working group
- with excellent scientific infrastructure, strong collaborations within the CRC 1357 Microplastics and internationally
- and an open, collegial lab atmosphere in a strongly interdisciplinary environment
The University of Bayreuth values the diversity of its employees as an enrichment and is expressly committed to the goal of equal opportunities for the sexes. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with children are very welcome. The University of Bayreuth is a member of the Best Practice Club “Familie in der Hochschule e.V.”, and has successfully participated in the HRK audit “Internationalization of the University”. Persons with severe disabilities will be given preferential consideration if equally qualified.
Please apply online via the Applicant portal Uni Bayreuth indicating the password “EcoTox” before 29th April 2021. Your application documents should consist of a motivation letter, CV and contact details of at least 2 academic references. The documents will be deleted after the position has been filled in accordance with data protection requirements.
For further information please contact:
Dr. Magdalena Mair (E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)