We are now hiring a Postdoctoral Researcher for 4-year position to conduct research on DigiHealth (Digitalized Solutions for Future Healthcare) working on developing Artificial Intelligence tools and Natural Language Processing modules for Healthcare applications associated to mining Electronic Medical Records and Aid to Clinical Decision Support Systems to support personalized clinical diagnosis or therapeutic decisions.
The faculty and the research group
The Postdoctoral Researcher will be based at Faculty of Medicine, the Research Unit of Medical Imaging, Physics and Technology (MIPT). MIPT research unit holds world class research in application of AI technology in medical domain and actively collaborate with University of Oulu hospital as part of DigiHealth research programme.
Digital Health (DigiHealth) research programme and hub is part of the University of Oulu’s national profiling actions. It is designed to do world-class interdisciplinary research and become nationally the strongest research programme strengthening health care services, diagnostics and therapies in the new digital era. The primary aim of DigiHealth is to develop and validate novel digital technologies for data-driven health applications, valorizing University of Oulu’s strong expertise in medicine, wireless solutions, big data analytics and business. The programme’s focus is crucial as novel technologies and technological solutions (e.g., artificial intelligence, internet of things, virtual/augmented/mixed reality, robotics, 5G/6G) are becoming more intelligent, invisible and ubiquitous to be utilized for data-driven health applications. Several international breakthroughs are expected within the DigiHealth related to development and applications of novel digitalized solutions to predict progression of diseases and in offering personalized therapies in a cost-effective and patient-centric way. New discoveries in the programme will build on interdisciplinary collaboration providing transformative knowledge aiming to strengthen the health technology ecosystem of Oulu.
The Postodoctoral Researcher will focus on development of natural language processing modules for mining electronic health records and contribute towards AI-based solutions to support personalized clinical diagnosis / decision with an emphasize on interpretable AI models. In addition, the Postdoctoral Researcher is expected to help in Msc and PhD supervision and liaise with multidisciplinary research team.
The Postdoctoral Researcher should have a PhD in computer science with experience in AI, decision support systems, and preferably natural language processing. Candidates whose PhD thesis has been submitted by the application deadline will also be eligible.
- experience in medical research
- experience in multi-disciplinary research
- good English skills (writing, speaking)
When assessing the applicant’s qualifications, issues to be considered will include scientific publications, supervision experience, activity in the scientific community and familiarity with the research field.
What we offer
- You will become a part of a highly talented research group, working on strategically and globally significant research area
- The position is filled for a four-year period. The employment begins on 1 March 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter. A six-month trial period is applied in the position.
- You will receive support not only from your team and supervisor, but also from university´s wide variety of support services, so that you can excel in your research.
- In addition to modern research facilities, we offer you personnel benefits such as occupational healthcare, affordable sport services and salary payments for 12 months / year.
- A salary in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system (for teaching and research personnel): level 5-6. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component).
- Other benefits: The successful candidate will receive full benefits provided by the University of Oulu to university employees, including free time corresponding to holidays and free occupational health care services. The successful candidate will receive also benefits provided by the Finnish government to residents, for example possibility to obtain access to the national healthcare system, tax benefits for employees with children and high-quality affordable childcare services.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by February, 06th, 2021 at 23:59 (Finnish local time). The application should be written in English and include the following:
1) A motivation letter (max. 2 pages) summarizing applicant’s professional experience and expertise and describing why applicant is interested in about this position. Also, information on personal research interests, experience and career plans are valuable to provide here
2) Curriculum vitae (max. 4 pages) in accordance with the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae
3) List of publications based on the guidelines of the Academy of Finland https://www.aka.fi/en/funding/apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines/list-of-publications/
4) A research plan, max. 3 pages
5) Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned copy of the original doctoral degree certificate and transcript of records and, when necessary, official translations to Finnish or English
6) Contact information of two senior/experienced researchers who may be asked to give a statement on the candidate
Only applications containing all relevant appendices and submitted through e-recruitment system will be considered. Top candidates will be invited to an on-site or remote interview.
Associate professor, Dr. Mourad Oussalah, Head of Social Mining Research Group
Faculty of ITEE, CMVS & Faculty of Medicine, MIPT
Tel: +358 50 59 16656