Two (2) Doctoral student positions in Human Sciences Doctoral Programme available for application
University of Oulu is now hiring highly motivated candidates for doctoral student positions in the doctoral programmes of the University of Oulu Graduate School (UniOGS). Successful candidates must commit to researcher training within Human Sciences Doctoral Programme and to completing their degree within four years.
Eligibility and requirements
An eligible candidate has a Master’s degree or an equivalent degree in a field relevant to the applied field. The major subject of the doctoral student is expected to be in the Doctoral Degree Programme of Educational Sciences, Humanities, Economics and Business Administration, or Geography. The degree must have been completed before the selection with at least good grades. Applicants are expected to be at the very early stage of research, in practice starting their doctoral training with this position. If they already have doctoral study rights in University of Oulu or elsewhere, they need to explain why they should still be considered as starters and early-stage researchers. Any applicant who has received doctoral study rights 30.11.2019, or before, are ineligible to apply. Selected candidates must meet all the requirements to receive doctoral study rights as defined in: http://www.oulu.fi/uniogs/requirements_for_admission.
Prior to submitting, applicants are expected to find a prospective main supervisor in an eligible research unit. Applicants are advised to seek potential supervisors in the faculty web pages (https://www.oulu.fi/university/node/35079). The proposed main supervisor must clearly be identified in the application form (full name, title, position, faculty and research unit at the University of Oulu). A letter from the proposed supervisor willing to commit for supervision must be attached into the applicant’s set of documents (see below).
In student selection, priority will be given to such doctoral students whose supervisor is not receiving strategic funding related to doctoral training from the University of Oulu during the applicable term, i.e. 2021 onwards.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, the commitment letter does not bind the proposed supervisor to any commitment, if the applicant is not selected into the doctoral student position applied here and for which the letter of support was provided.
Salary and key terms
The salary of selected doctoral students will be initially set on level 2, and later on levels 2 – 4 of the national salary scale for the teaching and research staff of Finnish universities. In addition, a supplementary remuneration is given for personal achievement and performance (max. 50 %). In practice, the salary is roughly 2200 – 2700 € per month for an early stage researcher, depending on the appointee’s qualifications and progress of the doctoral thesis.
Since this call is for starting doctoral researchers, the positions are filled at its earliest April 1, 2021 and ending December 31, 2024. A six-month trial period is applied in the positions.
How to apply
Submit your application through the online system by 31 January 2021. Please include the following attachments as five separate pdf files (please note that the online system has a maximum size limit for attachments):
- CV: Including a list of all peer-reviewed scientific publications with full reference details.
- Motivation letter: Describing prior knowledge, research interests and career plan (max 1 page).
- Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned electronic copies of diplomas and transcripts of the records of relevant previous degrees. If the original documents are not in Finnish, Swedish or English, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into Finnish or English.
- Research plan approved by the supervisor: Please follow the structure given in the guidelines of the Academy of Finland (https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/research-plan-structure/2020/porst-doctoral-clinical/) However, for the current purpose, the texts under the given section headings need not cover all bullet points in the guidelines, and the maximum length of the (draft) plan’s body of text must not exceed 3 pages with 10-12 point font size and with at least 1,5 cm margins. A fourth page can be used for the list of references only. Thus, the max total length of the plan including the references is 4 pages. Exceeding the page limit will either result in disqualification or removal of the extra pages from the document.
- Letter of provisional commitment from the supervisor (https://www.oulu.fi/uniogs/node/208876 pre-formulated form that must be used): In this document the eligible supervisor (either a professor or a docent level researcher who is employed by the University of Oulu) states his/her willingness to act as the supervisor for the applicant. Commitment letter must include the provisional supervisor’s assurance that the research unit director is aware of and committed to the financial obligations related to these positions. The University will cover only part of the costs related to this position and the unit will cover the rest. Typically, 20-35% of the salary and sidecosts remain to be covered by research unit. All other other costs are to be covered by research unit.
Applications received after the deadline, incomplete applications, and/or applications with attachments that exceed the specified limits, will not be considered.
Application and evaluation process
Evaluation and ranking of the applications will take place in multiple stages. First, ineligible or incomplete applications are rejected. Second, eligible and complete applications are evaluated and ranked by corresponding Doctoral Training Committee. Finally, University of Oulu Graduate School deans will consolidate the evaluation results and make the final decision for the positions. All applicants will be informed of the selection by e-mail.
About eligibility and degree requirements, see the Graduate School website: https://www.oulu.fi/uniogs/
For more information, please contact DP-HS coordinator Janne Kurtakko